Since spotting tweed all over NYFW earlier this year, I am all about it! I know that it’s Spring but I feel like tweed works all year round, especially for nights out. Plus it’s not like it actually feels like Spring at the moment (currently typing this next to the heating).
I recently did a Q&A on Instagram stories and realised how many of you were interested in my morning routine! Truth is, I don’t really have a set ‘morning routine’ because 1. my life is a mess, and 2. I’m not a creature of habit. However, I do have certain things I do before lunchtime everyday and I thought I’d share 5 of them with you today.
1. Scroll through social media. Okay, fully aware this one is kind of going against every other morning post you read, but hear me out. I’m not someone who can just ‘wake up’ and jump out of bed. I’m not a morning person and it doesn’t matter how many blog posts I read or videos I watch on how to turn into a morning person, it’s just not me. I’m a night owl. Social media is my job and the one thing I struggle with is staying inspired. I’ve found that if I wake up and spend a few minutes scrolling through social media (pinterest, twitter, instagram – actually feel more motivated by stories over feeds these days) as well as some blogs or articles, it sparks some kind of inspiration. It gets me connected to the world and what’s happening around me. Sometimes it can fuel ideas for later on in my day or I’ll have a lightbulb moment of where I want a certain photo to go. It could be anything, really.
2. Quick skincare routine. I say quick because in all honesty, I am still learning to love skincare. I’ve always preferred makeup over skincare. Give me a full coverage foundation over a cleanser any day. I feel like I’m going to be regretting this when I turn 30 but what’s new. I just love makeup too much. So my current morning skincare routine looks a little something like this:
- Go in with makeup wipes to remove any dirt built up overnight.
- Wash my face with my favourite cleanser right now.
- Apply this under eye cream-gel (if there’s one thing I am committed to, it is trying to avoid/reduce dark circles). It’s my favourite step at the moment, the cooling massage applicator really wakes my eyes up.
- Apply a facial oil – always do this before applying moisturiser (or mixed in with) otherwise it wont get through the moisturiser to your skin.
- Apply your moisturiser, currently using this one and loving it. I love this one too which is slightly more budget-friendly.
- If I wake up and find my skin is extra puffy or bloated, or want a real pamper, I’ll do a face mask or under eye pads.
3. Make a healthy, filling breakfast. For the past few months I’ve been practising intermittent fasting so I’ll eat for 8 hours (usually between 11am – 7pm) and fast for 16. I find this not only takes the pressure off the mornings but has so many health benefits. Of course it’s not possible to do every single day for me as sometimes I wake up at different times, have meetings over brunch or events, but I do try and stick with it majority of days. For breakfast at the moment I’m loving what I call ‘breakfast bowls’. Essentially it’s eggs, avocado & veggies. I usually do 2 eggs, spinach, coriander, 1/2 avocado and roasted pumpkin, topped with some goats cheese & soy sauce.
4. Schedule my day. I’m the kind of person who needs to know what I need to do every second of the day. I schedule everything through Google Calendar and this has become really important while working for myself. If I don’t have a schedule for when I’m going to do things, I won’t do them. By compartmentalising my day into sections it really helps to put my mind at ease. After having everything scheduled, I’ll then go and make my to-do list.
5. Answer important emails. Once I’m done with my ‘morning routine’ as such, I’ll go straight into answering emails. I do emails in the morning and then at the end of the day. I aim to reply back to any urgent emails that have come in overnight or in the morning, and then I’ll spend an hour or so addressing the others. I make an effort these days to limit my time otherwise I’d spend all day in a black hole, answering emails, and get no other work done.
What are a few things you do before noon everyday?