If I don’t get at least 8-9 hours of sleep a night, you’ll probably want to keep a clear distance from me. Sleep is very, very important to me and there’s not enough coffee in the world that can save me if I’m only running on a few hours. It’s like my brain turns to complete fuzz and I’d probably rate my personality a 2/10.
Does anyone else feel this way?
Did you know ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke? Oh & it’s pretty essential to weight loss, too. People with short sleep duration tend to weigh significantly more than those who get adequate sleep and it’s actually one of the strongest risk factors for obesity. Scary.
Have you ever noticed that you’re more hungry the less sleep you’ve had? That’s because you’re experiencing higher levels of ghrelin, a hormone stimulating appetite, and reduced levels of leptin, the hormone that suppresses appetite.
Apart from that, poor sleep is linked to all kinds of mental health issues including anxiety and depression. Really not fun.
Sleep is also my FAVOURITE beauty tip ever (yes, even before beauty oils). Lack of sleep increases the appearance of dark circles and dehydrates your skin, whereas getting enough sleep will improve hair growth, reduce the sign of aging and inflammation including acne!
So as you can imagine, I take my bedtime ritual pretty seriously. Some of the things involved include cosy bedding, calming oils, candles, sleepy tea, & a silk sleep mask. What can I say… OCD as always.
1. Deep Sleep Pillow Spray. Formulated with 100% natural essential oils of lavender, vetivert and wild chamomile to relieve tension, settle nerves and calm the body and mind, promoting a better sleep. You just spray it on your pillow before you go to sleep and it gives off an almost sedative effect. I love taking this with me when I’m traveling or sleeping away from home.
2. Slip Silk Eye Mask. Not sure which I love more, the colour or the packaging? If you were to ever invest in a sleep mask, let it be this one! It’s made with the highest grade mulberry silk and feels incredibly luxurious. The durability and softness are both so on point.
3. Eberjey Gisele Jersey Pajama Set. Just how cute is this PJ set? I love it even more in the orange blossom, but unfortunately that’s sold out everywhere. The navy is so gorgeous though and I love the contrasting trim. Plus, it gives off a more luxurious, boutique hotel sort of vibe, don’t you think?
4. Trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil. If you’re an avid reader of the blog you’ll know I live and die by my oils, specifically rosehip oil. It’s the one product that I have continued to use every single day AND night. I use it under my makeup (I like a glowy, dewy finish) but even better, I apply it over my face before I go to sleep. I only use a few drops and pat it over my face. If I had to name the best anti-wrinkle/aging product out there, THIS would be it (along with SPF, of course). My skin has never, ever looked better than after I started consistently using rosehip oil and it works its magic overnight.
5. Tata Harper Aromatic Bedtime Treatment. This treatment is a blend of aromatherapy oils formulated to stimulate the body’s natural ability to relieve symptoms of insomnia. Insomnia is not something I personally suffer with but times when I’m feeling stressed of anxious before bed, it’s a godsend. It helps relieve tension in the body and calm and overactive mind. How to use: apply to your palms and pulse points of wrist and neck, rub hands together and inhale deeply.
6. D.L. & Co. Midnight Tuberose Candle. I always have numerous candles burning around bedtime because it sets the tone and helps me unwind. Different scents might appeal to different people when it comes to relaxation, but I’ve been loving this midnight candle which is a blend of nectarine, cinnamon, tuberose & creamy sandalwood.
7. Lancôme ‘Hydra Zen’ Overnight Serum-in-Mask. Hydra Zen Night Masque is a a stress relieving serum by Lancôme. It’s a face mask you apply before bed and leave overnight to moisturize and hydrate skin skin. I LOVE overnight masks because they just leave my skin glowing by morning. It also doubles as a night cream so you do get more of your moneys worth.
8. Overnight Hair Repair by Sachajuan. This water-based gel formula conditions your hair as you sleep which is pretty ideal in my books considering how lazy I am with hair care. It helps build elasticity, shine and strength and it wont leave any stain or residue on your pillow (it’s the WORST with some overnight treatments). What’s better is that there’s no need to even rinse it out in the morning unless you want to!
9. Yogi Soothing Caramel Bedtime Tea. I know a lot of people prefer chamomile when it comes to bedtime teas, but in all honesty, I can’t stand it. It almost makes me a little nauseous at times and far from relaxed. Instead I’ve been drinking this soothing bedtime tea which is a blend of sweet rooibos, caramel and vanilla flavors which I adore! If I’m finding it really difficult to relax, I’ll add in some of this magnesium calm powder which I can’t rave about enough (remember this post?)
10. Slip for Beauty Sleep Silk Pillowcase. There are so many benefits a silk pillowcase I don’t even know where to start. It helps prevent bedhead, split ends and damaged hair as it reduces friction. I promise your blowout will last so much longer. Silk also helps keep moisture close to your skin which means your skin will stay more hydrated and smooth. It helps to prevent wrinkles and fine lines, especially for those who sleep on their face!
11. Neiman Marcus Silk Shortie Pajama Set. Speaking of silk, I couldn’t not share this silk pajama set. A matching set can make for a languid fashion statement in and of itself. I feel like this set almost makes sleepwear kind of chic? And it has benefits for your skin too by keeping it hydrated and preventing wrinkles.