I’m the first to agree that one good quality bag will always trump multiple ‘latest trend’ bags. I remember all my first investment pieces – from jewelry, to shoes and bags. They each elicit memories that have made me quite sentimental, and they’re things that one day I hope to pass on to those closest to me. An investment bag will stick with you through life’s ups and downs, and inevitably pay for itself over the years. Here’s a few recommendations.
1. Givenchy Antigona Medium Sugar Goatskin Satchel Bag. A structured everyday design, the Givenchy Antigona tote exudes the elegance and glamour the label is renowned for. It’s a season-transcending investment. Perfect for any occasion, simply wear in the crook of your arm or on the shoulder for an instant dose of polished Parisian style.
2. Céline Belt Bag. Undeniably unique, this simple bag with its unique belt detail emulate what Céline has come to stand for – minimal but never boring. It’s one of my all-time favourites and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to choose between the beige or black.
3. Fendi Peekaboo Satchel Bag. The Fendi Peekaboo bag is a style that’s partial to any trends. This bag is functional and easily recognisable but still understated. It’s essentially timeless.
4. Madewell The Transport Tote. The Madewell tote has boomed in popularity over the past year and only recently made available to ship to additional countries, including Australia. It’s simple, classic and fits everything you could ever need to fit in a handbag without looking bulky.
5. Saint Laurent Cassandre Small Tassel Crossbody Bag. This bag is what I would consider the perfect going-out bag (although the Chanel small boy bag still rivals it). It’s the epitome of chic and never fails to make a statement.
6. Michael Kors Selma Large TZ Satchel. Michael Kors always seems to be the brand people first start investing in. It’s a much more affordable brand but still holds a certain level of prestige. The Selma satchel is the perfect size and design, and others seem to think so too as it’s nearly always sold out.
7. Chanel Small Boy Bag. I couldn’t possibly write about investment bags and not mention the famed Chanel. Completely different than Chanel’s usual style, these bags infused masculinity with a feminine touch for bags that are rugged yet sophisticated. It’s been welcomed generously by the fashion community and in fact, it’s so popular it’s almost impossible to get a hold of. Needless to say, it’s essentially the bag of the century and would become a family heirloom.
8. Prada Saffiano East-West Medium Tote Bag. Structured, leather bags have remained my favourite for years, and the Prada Saffiano is very high on my list of recommendations. The clean and minimal design elevates any outfit.
9. Chloé ‘Drew’ Leather Crossbody Bag. I’m you’re an avid fashion blog reader, you’ll probably have seen this one making the rounds. The Chloe Drew bag is feminine, works in every single design and colour, and swings effortlessly from day to night. It’s elegant and fresh appeal comes from it’s light and petite design while it also has quite the 70s feel to it.