Breakfast salads have quickly become one of my favourite things to whip up in the morning, and even for lunch. They’re so simple and provide a delicious upgrade to regular eggs, which can sometimes become a bit of a bore.
There are usually 5 different layers to a breakfast salad. Here’s an idea of some common ingredients you could use:
1. Leafy greens: spinach, kale, lettuce, rocket, romaine, arugula
2. Veggies: tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, beetroot, onions, pumpkin
3. Grains: quinoa, barley, brown rice, freekeh
4. Protein: eggs, tuna, salmon, tofu, chicken
5. Extras: nuts, feta, fruit, chia seeds, cranberries, dried fruit
And for dressing, keep it simple. I always squeeze half a lemon and olive oil. You could add balsamic or a quick vinaigrette, but I think it takes away from all the flavours in the salad already.
For more inspiration, here’s a few of my favourite breakfast salad recipes.